California is the most populous state in the country. As a result, car accidents are more prevalent here than in many other states.
Our infographic below illustrates the frequency of car accidents in this state.
California Car Accident Statistics
Information Sourced from California Office of Traffic Safety
- Overall traffic fatalities decreased 8.3% from 2017 to 2018.
- Teen motor vehicle fatalities increased 21.4% from 2017 to 2018.
- Bicycle fatalities increased 6.89% from 2017 to 2018.
Most Dangerous Years for Driving in the Last 10 Years
- 2016: 37,806 deaths
- 2017: 37,133 deaths
- 2018: 36,560 deaths
3 Forms of Dangerous Driving
- Drunk Driving: One person dies due to drunk driving every 50 minutes in the U.S.
- Distracted Driving: Distracted driving claimed 2,841 lives in 2018 alone.
- Drowsy Driving: Researchers suggest the prevalence of drowsy driving fatalities is more than 350% greater than reported.
Did You Know?
- In 2018, 42% of all drivers killed in motor vehicle crashes tested positive for legal and/or illegal drugs.
Injured in a Car Accident? Contact Us Today
If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, our San Jose personal injury attorneys can protect your rights while you focus on recovering from your injuries. We have a track record of success in recovering significant settlements and verdicts for our clients, and we’re here to do the same for you.
Contact Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP at (800) 900-0863 to schedule a free consultation.