There are many ways in which a child can suffer an injury due to an accident or other unintentional or careless event. Injuries are the leading cause of death for children, claiming approximately 9,000 lives per year. Thousands more children need emergency care for injuries or suffer permanent disabilities after an injury.
Some of the most common types of child injuries include:
- Suffocation. Infants face an increased risk of suffocation. Check crib bedding and ensure infants sleep on their backs.
- Burn injuries. Install smoke detectors and check them regularly. Create a family escape plan in case of fire and make sure children know how to follow it.
- Poisoning. Keep medications, cleaning supplies, and other potentially dangerous substances out of the reach of children.
- Drowning. Never allow children to swim unsupervised. Make sure pools and hot tubs are completely enclosed with locks on doors and gates.
- Car accidents. Make sure your children have appropriate safety seats, and create a safe driving agreement for teens.
- Falls. Make helmets and pads part of the “right way” to ride skateboards and other wheeled toys. Install soft areas under swingsets and play areas, and install railings on bunk or loft beds.
You can help your kids avoid serious injuries by taking a few simple steps to reduce accident risks. If you need help after a child injury, however, please don’t hesitate to call a dedicatedCapitola personal injury attorney at Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP. Our number is (800) 900-0863 for a free consultation.