San Jose Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Get 85+ Years of Experience on Your Side
A motorcycle accident can happen in the blink of an eye, but the consequences can last a lifetime. As the victim of a motorcycle accident caused by another party, you may have the right to pursue financial compensation for all resulting damages, including:
- Medical costs
- Property damage
- Lost wages
- Pain and suffering
Our San Jose motorcycle accident lawyers at Caputo & Van Der Walde can help guide you through the process of presenting your claim. We offer free consultations so we can learn about your accident, then explain your rights and discuss your options.
Why should you call Caputo & Van Der Walde?
- We'll start your case with a free case review
- We have more than eight decades of experience
- We have won tens of millions of dollars for our clients
- You don't pay any fees unless we win your case
Get started today! Our San Jose motorcycle accident lawyers are available for free consultations at (800) 900-0863.
Millions Won for Motorcycle Accident Victims
At Caputo & Van Der Walde, we have secured millions of dollars in compensation on behalf of our clients. Some of our most notable recoveries in motorcycle crash cases include:
Seeking Compensation for Your Injuries
Unfortunately, motorcyclists are more likely to suffer serious injuries in an accident than other motorists. This is due to the fact that they lack the protections passenger vehicles provide; motorcyclists have no windshield, seat belt, cushion, or other barrier, which exposes the rider to the environment and its many hazards in an accident.
If you were hurt, our firm will complete a thorough investigation, document your injuries, and fight to ensure you are treated fairly by the insurance company.
When it comes to recovering damages, filing a claim is only the beginning. The claims process can be difficult and drawn out, especially if the opposing insurance company refuses to pay a fair settlement. Our legal team has resolved countless insurance disputes, and best of all, we can handle your legal affairs while you focus on recovery.
We can help you calculate damages for common motorcycle accident injuries like:
- Broken bones
- Scarring and disfigurement
- Soft tissue damage (road rash)
- Spinal cord injury and paralysis
- Traumatic brain injury
After a crash, it is imperative that you seek medical attention immediately. Many symptoms may not be obvious right away, so even if your injuries don't appear to be serious, you should still see a doctor. This will also create a paper trail and documentation of your injuries in case you are accused of lying or exaggerating.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents include:
- Left-turn collisions: Intersections present some of the biggest dangers to motorcyclists. Drivers may not see oncoming motorcyclists in their path when making left turns, which can lead to T-bone accidents.
- Rear-end collisions: While rear-end collisions are typically minor when two motor vehicles are involved, they can be devastating to motorcyclists. Even a low-speed collision can cause the motorcyclist to be thrown from their bike.
- Dangerous road conditions: Debris, grooves, railroad tracks, gravel, potholes, uneven pavement, and other road hazards can cause a motorcyclist to lose control of their bike and get into an accident.
- Broadside collisions: The majority of broadside collisions occur during daytime and at intersections without signals. In these cases, the liable party plows through a stop sign and straight into the motorcyclist who has the right of way.
- Merging without looking: Many motorcycle accidents occur when riders are cut off, either because a driver doesn’t look or signal his or her attention to merge lanes. There are also situations when motorcyclists can be in a driver’s blind spot, and the merging vehicle can sideswipe the motorcycle rider.
- Car doors opening: When an individual is on the driver’s side while parallel parked, they must look to ensure no vehicles are approaching before opening their door. When they open their car door into an oncoming rider, there can be disastrous results.
- Speeding: Speeding is one of the most common causes of all types of accidents, including those involving motorcycles. It’s easy to lose control or fail to stop in time when traveling at a high rate of speed near other motorists.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
The time limit, known as the statute of limitations, to file a personal injury lawsuit in California is two years, starting from the day of the accident. If you want to file a lawsuit over damage to your motorcycle, you have three years. If these deadlines pass and you try to file a lawsuit, the court will likely refuse to consider your case.
Should I Talk to the Insurance Company?
It is wise to have your motorcycle accident lawyer speak with the other party's insurer on your behalf. This prevents the insurance company from taking advantage of your rights. Insurance companies will usually offer the bare minimum in a settlement, which may not be enough to cover your medical expenses and property damage.
Call Caputo & Van Der Walde for a Free Review
California is a comparative liability state, meaning the at-fault party may try to blame the accident on you to reduce the amount of your settlement. We are prepared to draw upon our extensive resources and knowledge to dismantle arguments from the other side.
Our motorcycle accident attorneys in San Jose can help you investigate the cause of your crash and identify all liable parties so you can get the compensation you need to recover. Contact Caputo & Van Der Walde for answers to your questions and guidance on your next steps.
Don't wait to get started on your case. Contact our San Jose team at (800) 900-0863 to schedule your free consultation.