Commonly Required Treatments for Catastrophic Injuries
Catastrophic injuries are life-threatening and are often life-changing as well. As a result, the medical treatments for such injuries can be intense. It is unusual for someone to suffer a catastrophic injury and not need extensive medical care, including specialized or experimental methods.
In the average catastrophic injury case, the claimant will require:
- Extensive hospitalization: A hospital stay is very likely in order after a catastrophic injury of any type, be it a head injury, spine injury, amputation, or broken bones. You could be in the hospital for weeks or months before your medical team is confident that you can return home without complications.
- Surgery: Many catastrophic injuries will not heal on their own. To start the healing process or allow a wound to improve to at least some degree, complex surgeries might be necessary, such as spine surgery that alleviates a herniated disc or surgery to repair broken bones.
- Years of rehabilitation: After your release from the hospital, your medical treatments will likely continue in the form of rehabilitative treatment in skilled nursing or other in-patient facilities. Additionally, years of out-patient physical therapy might be needed to restore mobility to your legs or arms after an injury left you paralyzed, or further surgeries might be needed as well.
- Continuing medical care
- Visiting nursing care
- Physical and occupational therapy
- Medical equipment such as a hospital bed or wheelchair
The costs of medical care can and will get expensive in a catastrophic injury case. Even a single day in the hospital can drain your healthcare reserves. Longer stays will demand even more of your finances.
Compensation Available in a Catastrophic Injury Claim
Our San Jose catastrophic injury lawyers know how to accurately calculate the full amount of damages owed to you. We can take your case against any major insurance company, medical institution, individual, or corporation and apply the pressure for a fair settlement. No matter how much that compensation amount is once all your damages are added together, we are the team that can handle the case.
Significant damages to consider in a catastrophic injury claim include:
- Medical costs: Medical costs can be significant after treating someone with a catastrophic injury. We fight to make sure that all costs are covered by the liable party, including any amount that you paid out of your own pocket.
- Lost income: The time you spend off your feet and recovering is good for your health but bad for your job and income. The paychecks you were unable to earn and the future income you cannot achieve can be calculated as economic damage in your claim.
- Disability costs: Living with a new disability is complicated and can be costly. Installing wheelchair ramps or hiring an in-home living assistant can be expensive, for example. Any miscellaneous costs related to a disability caused by your catastrophic injury can be included in your damages.
- Pain and suffering: California law allows you to seek non-economic damage in a catastrophic injury claim, which relates to your pain, suffering, and trauma. Even your lessened enjoyment of life and lost independence can be calculated as a form of non-economic damage.
Loss of consortium: Loss of consortium is to compensate spouses for the loss of the relationship of the victim.
Wrongful death: A wrongful death lawsuit will be filed by the family members of the victim who passed away due to the accident or injury caused by someone else’s negligence.
Punitive damages: These damages are rewarded to victims, but the goal is to punish the defendant for their egregious behavior. This is to deter other entities or individuals from making the same wrongful mistakes.
From a financial, legal, and emotional standpoint, a catastrophic injury can be devastating. The implications go much further than the injury itself, and it can affect one’s work life and relationships with loved ones.
How Our San Jose Catastrophic Injury Attorneys Can Help
What can you expect from our legal team when you hire us for your catastrophic injury claim? We would be happy to provide complete case management and nothing less. From the initial investigation of your accident and calculating your damages, to filing your claim and litigating in court, our catastrophic injury lawyers in San Jose can do it all. You have enough to deal with already, so leave all the legal work and related complications up to us.