San Jose Carbon Monoxide Injury Attorneys
There are many potential health and safety risks in everyday life. Some are well known and common, such as auto accidents, while others are easily disregarded, such as carbon monoxide poisoning. This does not mean that CO poisoning is any less dangerous or deadly. In fact, carbon monoxide exposure can cause serious illness and even death without a person ever realizing they were exposed.
CO is a colorless and odorless gas that poses substantial health risks, which is why there are strict regulations on acceptable levels of CO emissions from vehicles and gas appliances, as well as generally acceptable levels of CO in any given area.
Appliances that emit inordinate levels of CO or property owners whose negligent maintenance results in increased levels of CO jeopardize the health and well-being of anyone within range of exposure.
Call our San Jose injury lawyers from Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP today at (800) 900-0863.
Levels of CO in the Home & at Work
According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), homes without gas stoves have an average carbon monoxide level from 0.5 to 5 parts per million (ppm). Levels near properly adjusted and maintained gas stoves are typically 5 to 15 ppm; levels near poorly maintained or adjusted stoves could be 30 ppm or greater.
Workplace CO exposure limits are set between 25 ppm and 50 ppm, although the recommended limit is 35 ppm as set by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). The risk of cardiovascular events increases above this level.
Health Effects at Different Concentrations
The health effects a person may experience as a result of excessive CO levels in the air vary depending on the concentration of CO. Low concentrations of carbon monoxide typically cause fatigue, because the body is not receiving the optimal level of oxygen, or even chest pain for people with heart disease. Long-term exposure at low concentrations (without ever getting fresh air) can cause further health problems.
Even just a little bit higher than a low concentration can cause the following:
- Impaired coordination and vision
- Other symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning
Some people may even experience flu-like symptoms, which would dissipate once the person leaves the affected area. At very high concentrations, CO exposure can cause death with little to no warning. This is why installing and maintaining a CO detector in the home is especially important. In fact, California law requires that every homeowner install carbon monoxide detectors.
What to do When Negligence Leads to High Levels of CO Exposure
Carbon monoxide can be released from a wide variety of sources, making it especially important for homeowners, property owners, product manufacturers, and even employers to take appropriate care in maintaining a safe environment and producing gas products. Poorly adjusted appliances, poor ventilation, and defective products all have the potential to release dangerous levels of CO.
Call Our Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Attorneys Serving San Jose Today at (800) 900-0863
If you have been exposed to hazardous levels of carbon monoxide as the result of another’s negligence, our experienced carbon monoxide exposure lawyers at Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP can help you determine whether you have a valid claim for compensation.
To find out more about your legal rights and options, call us at (800) 900-0863. You can also contact us online to schedule your complimentary case review.