Paul Caputo has a long and successful history in courtrooms throughout Northern and Central California of fighting for injured victims against insurance companies and their clients in car accidents, wrongful death, and a wide variety of other personal injury cases.
Paul follows in the footsteps of his father, Richard Caputo, who was considered by many to be one of the best trial lawyers of his time. Paul speaks of his father’s influence on his practice and says, “Watching my father, I learned how to maintain a professional and high ethical standard, while still negotiating in good faith on behalf of my clients.” As a trial lawyer who represents injured victims without the means to pay for legal representation, Paul often expends significant monetary resources to uncover the facts, hire experts, get medical opinions, and obtain reports on behalf of his clients.
While advocating for personal injury victims, Paul has made a name for himself in the Northern California legal community. Attorney Paul Caputo is the only Santa Clara County attorney who has been chosen by his peers in a state-wide selection process as the “California Trial Lawyer of the Year.” During his time as a personal injury attorney, Paul has taken on a variety of unique and prestigious roles, and has received several other awards and accolades.
Paul’s many awards, associations, and accomplishments include:
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA)
- Top Attorney Rated by Super Lawyers
- California Trial Lawyer of the Year, Consumer Attorneys of California (CAOC)
- Santa Clara County Trial Lawyer of the Year, Award Winner
- Santa Clara County Trial Lawyer of the Year, 2x Finalist
- Santa Clara County Trial Lawyers Association, Past President
- Santa Clara University Board of Fellows
- Professor of Torts at Lincoln University Law School
- Guest lecturer for numerous legal organizations
- Published author and contributor for various area newspapers and news outlets
- Who’s Who of Rising Young Americans Honoree
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell as “an attorney of exemplary reputation who has a significant client base and high professional standing”
- California Lawyer Attorneys of the Year (CLAY) Award
- Resolution of Commendation, U.S. House of Representatives, stating in part, “Paul Caputo has demonstrated a commitment to protect the rights of the consumer, to safeguard the environment and to apply his knowledge and experience in the field of law to the promotion of the public good”
- Resolution of Commendation, California State Assembly, which states in part, “That Paul F. Caputo is commended for his service to justice and the public good…”
- Commendation, City of San Jose, stating in part, “Paul F. Caputo has demonstrated a commitment to advance the cause of those who are damaged in person or property…, to help injured or damaged persons enforce their legal rights…, and to resist efforts of others to unduly curtail the rights of such persons.”
Born and raised in San Jose, California, Paul graduated from Bellarmine College Prep and earned his B.A. degree from Marquette University. Paul then received his J.D. from Santa Clara University and joined his father at the law firm of Caputo, Liccardo, Rossi, Sturges & McNeil. In 1992, Paul and his father, Richard Caputo, split off to form their own firm, Caputo & Caputo. Throughout his years of experience, Paul has either tried or handled cases as a personal injury lawyer in 38 of California’s 58 counties, mainly encompassing cities within the Bay Area and Northern California. Paul merged his successful personal injury practice in 2014, to form Caputo & Van Der Walde, LLP, where he has continued his track record of success.