As online shopping becomes increasingly popular, there is a higher incidence of delivery truck accidents. This is especially true of Amazon truck accidents, mainly because of the low standards for hiring applicants, as well as the high volume and next day delivery. As a result, Amazon delivery truck drivers are involved in numerous collisions that result in serious injuries and damages. This often results in difficulties long after the accident including expensive medical bills, loss in earnings, property damage, pain and disability, as well as other out of pocket costs.
With an Amazon delivery driver attorney’s help, you can get the representation you need to make sure you are fairly compensated. While you are recovering, your attorney can manage all of your case related affairs and interface with the insurance company or opposing counsel on your behalf. For more information, reach out to Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP for a free consultation.
Most Common Causes of Amazon Delivery Truck Accidents
An Amazon delivery driver can cause accidents due to negligence, which means they failed to exercise the nt of causation expected of a reasonably careful delivery driver. Common reasons for Amazon delivery driver negligence include the following:
- Driver Fatigue: An Amazon delivery driver may be required to work long hours and cover long distances. This can lead to driver fatigue and impaired driving.
- Distracted Driving: Distractions such as cell phones, navigation systems, and other electronic devices can divert a driver’s attention from the road, leading to accidents.
- Speeding: An Amazon delivery driver may feel pressure to make deliveries quickly, leading to speeding and reckless driving.
- Improper Maintenance: Failure to properly maintain Amazon trucks can lead to equipment failure and accidents on the road.
- Weather Conditions: Adverse weather conditions such as rain, snow, and ice can make driving difficult and increase the risk of an Amazon delivery truck accident.
- Inexperienced Drivers: A new or inexperienced Amazon truck driver may lack the skills needed to safely operate a large commercial vehicle.
- Improper Loading: Improperly loaded cargo can cause Amazon delivery trucks to become unstable and cause accidents.
- Alcohol or Drug Abuse: Accidents can also be caused by an Amazon delivery driver under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
What to Do After an Amazon Truck Accident?
If you’ve been involved in an accident with an Amazon delivery truck, there are several steps you should take to protect yourself to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve. Here’s what to do after a car accident involving Amazon drivers:
- Call 911: Call 911 immediately to report the accident. If anyone is injured, request medical services.
- Get Medical Assistance: Even if you don’t think you’ve been injured, it’s important to get checked out by a doctor. Some injuries may not show up right away. For example, concussion symptoms may take several days to manifest.
- Gather Contact Details: Get the name, phone number, and insurance information of the Amazon delivery truck driver, as well as the names and contact information of any eyewitnesses.
- Get Photographs: Take photos of the accident scene and damage to both your vehicle and the Amazon delivery vehicle.
- Contact Your Insurance Company: Let your insurance company know that you’ve been involved in an accident. They can guide you through the claims process.
- Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer: If you’ve been injured, you may want to consider hiring a personal injury lawyer. They can help you navigate the legal process and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
- Contact Amazon: Have your attorney contact Amazon’s customer service department and report the accident. They can provide you with additional information or assistance.
Amazon Delivery Trucks Liability
Amazon, like any other company, can be held liable for accidents involving their delivery trucks. If an Amazon delivery truck causes an accident that results in property damage, injuries, or fatalities, the company may be held responsible for any damages and losses. The liability can be attributed to Amazon in several ways.
For example, if the driver of an Amazon delivery truck was acting negligently or recklessly at the time of the accident, the company may be held responsible for their actions. Additionally, if the truck was not properly maintained or inspected, Amazon could be held liable for any damages it caused.
Amazon contracts with third-party delivery companies, which can complicate the issue of liability in accidents involving their delivery trucks. In these cases, the delivery company may be responsible for any accidents caused by their independent contractors. Determining liability in an Amazon delivery truck accident will depend on the specific circumstances of the collision.
If you’ve been involved in an accident with an Amazon delivery truck, it’s important to consult with a personal injury lawyer. Your attorney can help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
Amazon Truck Accident Statistics
These recent Amazon truck accident statistics help show how frequently these accidents can occur:
- Authorities inspected 3,512 trucking companies three or more times while transporting Amazon trailers since February 2020.
- Trucking contractors who work for Amazon are more than twice as likely to receive a negative review and unsafe driving score compared to contractors for other companies.
- Almost one in five Amazon delivery drivers have been injured in 2021.
- Amazon delivery drivers suffer 2.5 more injuries than non-Amazon delivery drivers.
- A majority of Amazon delivery van crashes aren’t reported to Amazon because they weigh less than 10,000 pounds.
Why You Should Hire an Amazon Truck Accident Lawyer
Amazon truck accident lawyers provide a wide range of skills to enhance your ability to receive full compensation for your damages. Some of their services include:
Protecting Your Rights and Interests
An Amazon truck accident lawyer can protect your legal rights and interests by ensuring that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
Investigating the Accident
A truck accident attorney can investigate the accident and gather evidence to build a strong case. This includes obtaining police reports, interviewing witnesses, and analyzing the accident scene.
Dealing With Insurance Companies
Dealing with insurance companies can be difficult and confusing. An experienced truck accident lawyer can handle negotiations with the insurance company on your behalf to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
A truck accident attorney can help determine the full extent of your damages, including medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering. This ensures that you receive fair compensation for all of your losses.
Litigating Your Case
If negotiations with the insurance company are unsuccessful, a truck accident attorney can take your case to court and litigate on your behalf. This increases the likelihood of a favorable outcome and fair compensation.
Damages You Can Claim For Your Truck Accident
Here are some damages that you may be able to claim for your truck accident:
You can claim compensation for any medical expenses you incurred as a result of the accident, including hospital bills, doctor’s fees, prescription medications, and physical therapy.
If you had to take time off work to recover from your injuries or if you’re unable to work due to the accident, you can claim compensation for lost wages or income.
Pain and Suffering
You can claim compensation for physical pain, emotional distress, and any other types of suffering that you experienced as a result of the accident.
If your vehicle or other property was damaged in the accident, you can claim compensation to cover the cost of repairs or replacement.
In some cases, you may be granted punitive damages, which are intended to punish the at-fault party for particularly egregious behavior, such as drunk driving or reckless driving. This is only possible if your case goes to court, and only a judge or jury can award them.
If a loved one was killed in a truck accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim to seek compensation for their medical expenses, funeral costs, lost income, and other damages.
How Do Amazon Truck Accidents Commonly Occur
Truck accidents happen in a variety of ways. Some of the most common ones include the following:
If a truck driver fails to stop in time or doesn’t leave enough distance between their truck and the car in front of them, they may cause a rear-end collision.
When a truck driver crosses over into oncoming traffic or drives the wrong way on a one-way street, they may cause a head-on collision with a car.
Whenever a truck driver runs a red light or a stop sign or makes an illegal turn, they may collide with a car that is crossing their path.
If a truck driver brakes suddenly or loses control of their vehicle, the trailer may swing out and collide with other vehicles on the road.
Sometimes, a truck driver takes a turn too fast or encounters a sudden obstacle in the road. While doing this, their truck may roll over and collide with other vehicles.
Wrongful Deaths in Amazon Truck Accidents
In the case of a wrongful death caused by a truck accident, the surviving family members of the deceased person may be able to file a wrongful death settlement claim or lawsuit. A wrongful death settlement claim or a lawsuit is brought against a person or entity that is responsible for someone’s death due to negligence, wrongful act, or omission. You can claim funeral and burial expenses, loss of income, loss of consortium, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Consult with a personal injury lawyer to determine the full extent of damages that the surviving family members may be entitled to in a wrongful death lawsuit. Our law firm can guide you on your next steps after you’ve been wounded in a recent Amazon truck accident. Reach out to Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP now for a free consultation with a personal injury lawyer.
FAQs About Amazon Accidents and Lawsuits
You may have a lot of questions on your mind after your recent Amazon truck accident. Here are some frequently asked questions:
Can I sue Amazon for an accident involving a delivery truck?
You may be able to sue Amazon for an accident involving one of its delivery trucks. Amazon can be held liable for accidents caused by its drivers if they were acting negligently or recklessly at the time of the accident.
However, determining liability can be complicated, especially if the delivery driver was employed by a third-party delivery company. Speaking to an attorney first can help.
How much compensation can I receive for an Amazon delivery truck accident?
The amount of compensation you can receive for an Amazon delivery truck accident depends on several factors, such as the extent of your injuries, the impact on your quality of life, and the cost of medical treatment as well as lost wages. A personal injury lawyer can help you calculate the full extent of your damages and ensure that you receive fair compensation.
How long do I have to file a lawsuit for an accident involving an Amazon delivery truck?
The statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit varies by state. In California, it is typically two years from the date of the accident. It’s important to consult with a personal injury lawyer as soon as possible after an accident to ensure that you don’t miss any important deadlines.
Can I still file a lawsuit against Amazon if I signed a release or settlement agreement?
It depends on the specific terms of the release or settlement agreement. It’s essential to consult with a personal injury lawyer before signing any contracts to ensure that your legal rights are protected and that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses.
What should I do if I’m in an accident with an Amazon delivery truck?
If you’re involved in an accident with an Amazon delivery truck, you should seek medical attention if necessary, call the police to report the accident, and gather as much information as possible, such as the driver’s name, license plate number, and insurance information. You should also contact a personal injury lawyer to help you navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive fair compensation for your injuries and losses.