Virtually every vehicle has blind spots. These blind spots are areas around the vehicle that a driver cannot see in their rearview or side view mirrors. Blind spots require drivers to glance quickly over their shoulder to ensure no vehicle is in their blind spot before merging lanes or making a turn.
The process is a bit more complicated for truck drivers. Trucks’ blind spots, or “no-zones,” are large areas surrounding the truck in which other vehicles will become invisible to the trucker. Unlike other motorists, truckers cannot see vehicles in their blind spots by glancing over their shoulders, because the truck’s trailer blocks their view.
Learn where a truck’s no-zones are located and how to avoid them in order to stay safe on the road.
Mapping Out a Truck’s Blind Spots
Trucks have large blind spots, or no-zones, directly in front, directly behind, and on either side of them. More specifically, the no-zones on most big-rigs can be mapped out as follows:
- Front no-zone: Approximately 20 feet
- Rear no-zone: Approximately 30 feet
- Left no-zone: The width of one lane
- Right no-zone: The width of two lanes
Given the fact that cars are essentially invisible to truckers when they are in these no-zones, it is vital for motorists to know where these no-zones are located and how to avoid them or pass through them as quickly as possible.
How Can You Ensure That You Are Not in a Trucker’s “No-Zone”?
The following safety measures can reduce the time a motorist spends in a truck’s no-zone and enhance safety for the driver and the trucker:
- Know that if you cannot see the trucker’s face in the side-view mirror, the trucker cannot see your vehicle.
- Do not merge in front of a truck until the truck is visible in the rearview mirror (not side-view mirror).
- Give yourself three seconds of following distance behind a truck.
- Give trucks plenty of room to turn, particularly for right-hand turns.
Even if you take all of these safety precautions, truck accidents can still happen–often through no fault of your own. If you or someone you love has been harmed in a truck crash, Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP is here to help. We have helped countless truck accident victims recover millions of dollars for medical bills, lost wages, and more. Learn how we may be able to help you, too.
Call Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP at (800) 900-0863 to schedule a free consultation.