Carbon Monoxide Is A Silent Killer, But It Can Be Avoided

Carbon Monoxide Is A Silent Killer, But It Can Be Avoided

Carbon Monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, colorless gas which has the ability to kill you. When home appliances, such as portable generators, are not properly ventilated, the risk of those appliances emitting carbon monoxide gas is present. If you have been exposed to carbon monoxide the symptoms mimic common ailments, such as the flu.

Headaches, nausea, and fatigue may be experienced from prolonged exposure. Brain damage and death are also very common results of prolonged carbon monoxide poisoning. Because it is not easily recognized, and because many times it strikes while someone is asleep, carbon monoxide poisoning is referred to as the “silent killer”.

In order to protect the public against this “silent killer”, as of July 1, 2011, California requires that all single family “dwellings”, including dorms and hotel rooms, as well as rental units, be equipped with carbon monoxide alarms (similar to fire alarms). Owners of apartment buildings or multiple unit complexes have until January 1, 2013 to comply with the law.

Even with the law in place, there will be those who do not follow the law – such as some owners of your rented property – and some alarms may fail or be incorrectly installed by someone other than you.

Should you or a loved one be a victim of carbon monoxide poisoning due to negligence or a product defect, you may be entitled to compensation from the responsible parties. Let the experienced and dedicated San Jose carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers at Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP help. Call them for a free consultation (800) 900-0863.

Categories: