Recognizing The Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Recognizing The Symptoms Of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that is incredibly difficult for a person to notice without the aid of a detector. CO is also incredibly deadly when a person is exposed to a high concentration and it is produced by many gas-powered machines and tools, making it especially important for people of all ages to be aware of the dangers and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning.
While there are many steps that a person can take to prevent CO poisoning, such as installing detectors throughout a house, now mandatory under the California Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act, and making sure gas-powered machines are used outside or in a well-ventilated area, many accidents still occur without warning. As such, it is important to recognize the symptoms of CO poisoning as a safeguard against all possible incidents and to prevent serious illness.

When a person is exposed to carbon monoxide, he or she will often experience symptoms including:

  • Headache;
  • Dizziness;
  • Drowsiness;
  • Depression;
  • Nausea;
  • Weakness;
  • Shortness of breath;
  • Vomiting;
  • Chest and/or abdominal pain;
  • Hallucinations;
  • Seizure; and
  • Loss of consciousness.

Often, these symptoms are mistaken for an illness such as the flu, making the use of a CO detector an incredibly important safety step. If someone, or a group of people, is experiencing these symptoms, the first thing you should do is have everybody leave the area or building and go outside for fresh air. Then call 9-1-1 for emergency treatment and dealing with the hazard.

If you or a loved one has suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning due to another party’s negligence or oversight, a San Jose poisoning lawyer with Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP can find proper compensation for your losses from the at-fault party. For more information on how we can aid you, call us today at (800) 900-0863.

Categories: