San Jose Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Attorneys

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide, also known as the "Silent Killer," is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas that can cause brain damage and even death upon excessive inhalation. Because carbon monoxide cannot be perceived by human senses, one who is unaware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning can easily be harmed or killed due to overexposure. In fact, this tragically happens to many people in the United States on an annual basis, approximately 500. An additional 15,000 victims visit the hospital for related injuries.

If you or someone you love has experienced carbon monoxide poisoning and another party was at fault for the incident, get in touch with our experienced San Jose personal injury lawyers at Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP today. You may be entitled to compensation for all related damages, including medical and funeral expenses, lost wages and earning capacity, pain and suffering, and more. To learn more about your legal options, please call us today at (800) 900-0863.

Common Sources of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Perhaps the most alarming fact about carbon monoxide poisoning is that its many sources include common household items, such as the following:

  • Oil and gas heaters
  • Water heaters
  • Kitchen gas stoves
  • Lawn mowers
  • Charcoal grills
  • Gasoline and diesel generators
  • Automobiles

Some of these items, such as grills and automobiles, emit carbon monoxide fumes naturally and should never be left operating inside enclosed spaces without proper ventilation. Others, such as heaters and stoves, may spring gas leaks if faulty. Unless the proper alarms are in place, the presence of dangerous amounts of carbon monoxide may go undetected by the hapless residents of the affected household, leading to tragic results.

Telltale Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Unfortunately, the early symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are similar to those of the flu. This is why many people who experience it go to bed, thinking they just need to sleep off the effects of what they presume to be a harmless cold, and sadly perish. If you exhibit any of the following symptoms, and there seems to be no reasonable explanation behind them, trust your instincts and go to the hospital before further damage is done to your brain.

  • Headache
  • Disorientation
  • Nausea
  • Fainting
  • Shortness of breath
  • Chest pain
  • Vomiting
  • Loss of consciousness

The sooner you have a medical professional address your symptoms, the better chance you'll have of avoiding extensive treatment if carbon monoxide poisoning was the culprit. It is highly recommended that you always abide by the phrase, "Better safe than sorry."

Schedule your free consultation. Call (800) 900-0863 today!


As of July 1, 2011 the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act (Senate Bill - SB 183) requires owners of all single-family homes with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source to install carbon monoxide detectors within the home
Source: California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection

Click here to read the Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010


Highly Qualified Injury Lawyers in San Jose

If you have suffered considerable losses due to carbon monoxide poisoning, you may have a case for compensation if you experienced it at work, a negligence case against the property owner if you experienced it in a rental or public space, or another legal option depending on the circumstances. To find out what your chances of successful litigation are, contact Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP today for a straight answer. Our San Jose carbon monoxide poisoning attorneys have the experience that you need to effectively handle your case.

We Can Help You Contact Us for a Free Case Review