San Jose Bicycle Accident Attorneys
In the United States, many people ride bicycles for transportation, exercise,
and enjoyment. People who operate motor vehicles must share the road and
follow the same traffic laws with bicyclists. Wearing the proper protective
gear is one way that many bicyclists attempt to remain safe while on the
road. Unfortunately, riders are injured everyday due to the negligent
driving of people in automobiles.
If you were injured in a bicycle accident, our
San Jose personal injury lawyers can help you.
Schedule your free case review today by calling (800) 900-0863.
Bike Accident Statistics
Bicyclists are at risk for serious injuries every day that they ride their
bikes on the road. Bicyclists who have been involved in an accident with
an automobile may sustain serious physical injuries, including:
- Head and brain trauma
- Fractured bones
- Internal bleeding
- Spinal cord injury
The following are bicycle accident statistics for the U.S.:
- Approximately 1 million children suffer injuries in bicycle accidents each year.
- Every 6 hours, a bicycle rider is fatally injured.
- Almost 50% of bicycle-related fatalities occur to people under 16 years of age.
Head injuries are the cause of 75% of all serious injuries and fatalities in bicycle
You may be able to recover monetary compensation for your injuries.
Are negligent drivers responsible for a bicycle collision?
Many bicycle riders suffer serious injuries as the result of
motor vehicle operators who drive unsafely and do not treat bicyclists with the courtesy they
deserve. There is no contest between a vehicle that weighs thousands of
pounds and an individual on a bike. In addition to being struck by a motor
vehicle, many bicyclists suffer injuries when they are struck by an opening car door.
Drivers must be observant while operating their vehicles and share the
road with bicyclists. While many cities have designated bicycle lanes,
drivers still do not give bicyclists the respect and courtesy to safely
ride. If you are a bicyclist who has been involved in an accident with
an automobile, you need to hire a skilled attorney.
All people who are involved in an accident (bicyclist and motor vehicle
driver) must stay at the scene to discuss the situation with the proper
authorities. If the negligent driver who hit you leaves the scene of the
accident, you have been the victim of a hit and run. Hit-and-run accidents
are extremely serious crimes in California and all guilty drivers face
harsh legal penalties.
What should I do after a bike accident?
The following is a list of important things that you should do after being
involved in a bicycle accident:
- Call 911 to report the bicycle accident.
- Seek medical attention immediately if you have been struck by a vehicle
or car door, check with a medical professional to make sure you are all
right, even if you do not notice any immediate injuries.
- Ensure that an incident report is filed in regards to the bicycle accident.
- Make sure that you get the contact information of the driver who was involved
in the accident, including his or her name, address, date of birth, and
- Get contact information, such as name and phone number, from any witnesses
of the accident.
- If you happen to have a camera with you, take pictures of the accident
scene, damages to your bicycle, and any visible injuries that you suffered.
Call Us at (800) 900-0863 Today
If you are a cyclist who has been injured due to the negligence of a driver,
contact Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP and speak with one of our aggressive San Jose bike accident lawyers. We
can fight on your behalf for monetary compensation for your
injuries, as well as other accident related costs.
Bicycle Accident Verdicts and Settlements
- $1,000,000∗- Disputed liability bicycle vs. auto collision resulting
in closed head injury
- $565,000 - Bike vs. vehicle accident resulting in cervical and shoulder surgeries
- $300,000 - Bicycle accident where bicyclist was rear-ended by an intoxicated
driver and suffered a fractured vertebrae with nerve impingement
∗Confidential settlements or settlements where Caputo & Van
Der Walde LLP secured the maximum amount of insurance coverage available.
Click here for more verdicts and settlements