San Mateo Personal Injury Lawyers
Personal Injury Information
Personal injury lawsuits are filed by individuals who have been injured
due another person's actions. The injury may be physical or emotional
and must have resulted from negligence or from an intentional act.
- Negligence: If your injury was due to another person's negligence or
carelessness, even though there was no intentional wrongdoing, you may
still be able to file a personal injury lawsuit. To win a "negligence
case", it must be proven that a duty of care was owed to the injured
person. If this duty is violated, you will be entitled to compensation
for your injuries. An example of negligence would be an auto accident.
The driver of a motor vehicle has a duty to drive safely and keep the
vehicle under control at all times. If the driver is distracted and this
causes a car accident, any resulting injuries could be due to the driver's
- Intentional Acts: When a person intends to commit a wrongful act which
results in injuries, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit.
It is a very complex process to obtain compensation from a person who
commits an intentional act; however, most injuries result from acts of
more than just one party. For example, a daycare center has a duty to
provide proper supervision and keep children safe from any foreseeable
wrongdoing. If your child is intentionally harmed at a daycare center,
you may also have a lawsuit for negligence if the daycare center's
lack of care led to your child's injury.
Personal injury lawsuits are filed by people (or their representatives)
injured due to the negligence of someone else. The injury may be either
physical or emotional, and it can arise from a variety of sources or types
of conduct. Some of the most common types of personal injury cases include
slip and fall, automobile accidents, assaults and battery, and product
liability. In general, the goal of a personal injury action is to determine
who was responsible and to compel the responsible party to compensate
the injured person for the losses sustained. If you or someone you know
has been injured by the careless actions of another, contact a personal
injury attorney at our firm to find out how we can help you preserve your rights.
"Strict liability" is a legal doctrine that makes parties responsible
for damages that their actions, products or services cause, regardless
of any "fault". Strict liability often applies to personal injury
lawsuits when products are defective as a result of the manufacturing,
distribution, or marketing process. There is no responsibility to prove
that the manufacturer of the product was negligent, just that the product
was defective and this defect contributed to your injury.
The federal government's National Center for Injury Protection and
Control keeps statistics for personal injuries:
- Every year in the United States, over 90,000 people die as a result of
- Accidental injuries result in approximately 31 million emergency room visits
- Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of injury-related deaths
in the United States for the age group of one to thirty four.
- Falls are the leading cause of injury-related death for older Americans
- over sixty five years old.
- Drowning is the second leading cause of death for children ages one to fourteen.
- About 8500 people per year are injured by fireworks.
- About 600,000 people are treated for bicycle-related injuries serious enough
to require a trip to the emergency room.
- A dog bites someone every forty seconds.
- Playground accidents occur every 2.5 minutes and result in 200,000 emergency
room visits per year.
- Approximately 2 million people are accidentally poisoned each year.
- One out of every ten construction workers will be seriously injured each year.
- On average, 11,200 serious accidental injuries occur every hour.
If you or a loved one has been injured due to someone else's carelessness,
negligence or intentional acts, you will want a personal injury attorney
who is experienced, with a proven track record of success. The personal
injury lawyers at Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP have litigated and won
millions of dollars in compensation for our injured clients throughout
the Northern California area. We are a recognized leader in
personal injury lawsuits because we aggressively fight for your rights. We work on a contingency
basis, which means that we don't get paid until we win your case!
We take our cases personally and because we focus on this area of the law,
you will get the competent legal representation that you deserve. If you
or a loved one has suffered a personal injury, call a skilled personal
injury lawyer at Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP at (800) 900-0863 for
a free case evaluation.
For more information about your injury case, and to schedule a free case
consultation, please don't hesitate to contact the injury attorneys
at Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP. Call us today at (800) 900-0863.