San Mateo Car Accident Attorneys
Car Accident FAQs
car accident can turn your life upside down. It is helpful to know what to do after
an accident. This page will assist you with some of the questions you
may have after a car accident.
What should I do right after a car accident?
There are some things that you can do to make sure that you will be ready
if you decide to file a personal injury lawsuit:
- Attend to any injuries immediately - call 911 if the injuries are severe.
- Obtain the name, address, insurance information, driver's license number
and vehicle license plate number of any vehicles involved.
- If possible, get the contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- Take pictures (use your cell phone) to photograph the accident scene.
- As soon as possible, write down everything you remember about the accident.
- Do not leave the scene until a police report is taken and the police officer
- Talk to no one about the accident (other than your doctor or your lawyer)
and do not admit any fault.
- Do not sign anything without consulting an experienced car accident attorney
who can explain your legal rights.
- Don't accept any money from the insurance company as this will compromise
your ability to settle your claim for a higher amount if it is determined
that you may have ongoing medical problems.
- Seek medical attention for your injuries and keep all records.
- Report to your doctor if you experience memory problems, confusion, headaches,
disorientation, or any other symptom that may show up after the accident.
What can I expect to be compensated for?
You can expect to be compensated for all of your losses, which may include:
- Medical expenses incurred in the treatment of your injuries.
- Any future medical costs.
- Compensation for actual loss of wages.
- Loss of future wages.
- Compensation for loss of enjoyment of life.
- Damages for mental pain, suffering, and mental anguish.
- Property damage - repair or replacement of your vehicle.
What if my loved one died in the car accident?
If you lost a loved one in a car accident, you may be entitled to file
a lawsuit for
wrongful death. In a wrongful death settlement, you can expect to be compensated for
losses that may include:
- Medical expenses incurred due to the accident.
- Funeral expenses.
- Loss of wages and future wages.
- Loss of quality of life.
- Loss of consortium - if you lost a spouse.
- Pain, suffering, and mental anguish.
- Psychological services if needed.
How much does it cost to hire a car accident attorney?
We work on a contingency basis, meaning that we do not receive an attorney
fee unless we win your case. We get paid by taking a percentage of the
award - typically attorneys receive between 33% and 40%. It costs you
absolutely nothing for a
The experienced and skilled traffic accident attorneys at Caputo &
Van Der Walde LLP will provide a free case evaluation so that you can
make an informed decision about how you want to proceed. We have won millions
of dollars for our clients in the bay area because we aggressively protect
your rights and fight for the compensation that you deserve. We want the
best possible outcome for our clients and their families who have suffered
serious injuries due to negligent drivers, defective auto parts or dangerous
roadways. We will discover the cause of your accident and negotiate the
best possible settlement for you. Call our office today for a free case
evaluation (800) 900-0863.