Santa Cruz Man Rescues Neighbor From Burning Cottage

Posted By Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP || 21-Mar-2012

A 42-year-old Santa Cruz resident is being hailed as a hero after saving his neighbor from her burning cottage on the night of March 18. According to The San Jose Mercury News, the man heard loud noises and screaming from the house of his 56-year-old female neighbor and went outside to investigate. He then saw the house on fire and ran to help.

While what started this Santa Cruz fire accident is unknown, the fire caused two oxygen tanks, used by the wheelchair-bound woman, to explode, causing the fire to quickly spread and engulf the cottage. The man rushed to the house and after finding that both the front and back door were locked, kicked in the front door after three attempts and dragged the then-unconscious woman out of the door through heavy smoke and spreading flames.

After getting the woman out, he and two other neighbors carried her across the street, where she regained consciousness. Emergency responders soon arrived, putting out the flames to keep the fire from spreading to other houses and also taking the woman to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, where she is in critical condition for her injuries.

Despite being exposed to heavy smoke and flames, the rescuer did not need to be admitted to the hospital for injuries.

House fires can quickly cause serious injuries to anyone in the burning building, with smoke and fire quickly building up and easily incapacitating occupants. The Santa Cruz burn injury attorneys at Van Der Walde & Associates understand how devastating these accidents can be, with injuries and losses inflicting a heavy physical, emotional, and financial toll. For more information on how our experienced law team can aid you in your case by finding proper compensation from at-fault parties and insurance companies, contact us today at (800) 900-0863.

Categories: Burn Injury
Blog Home

We Can Help You Contact Us for a Free Case Review