Slip-and-fall accidents are one of life’s frequent occurrences that
often seem funny when affecting other people, but can actually result in a
catastrophic injury that may be difficult to recover from. However, these accidents can be
easily prevented or drastically reduced by taking a few simple precautions.
No matter what season or location in California, any home is at risk for
slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall accidents due to a variety of reasons.
However, these incidents always have a few things in common; mainly, a
loss of footing or a stumble due to slippery or broken floors. To prevent
such accidents from affecting your family or any visitors to your home,
follow these steps:
- Immediately clean up any spills;
- Clearly mark any wet areas;
- Install non-slippery flooring, especially in areas where liquids are often present;
- Keep walkways free of clutter and obstacles;
- Secure mats, carpets, rugs, etc. to keep them laying flat;
- Keep walkways and trafficked areas well lit; and
- Keep cabinets and various drawers closed when not using them.
Remember, slip-and-fall and trip-and-fall accidents are caused when a person
loses his or her footing, so be aware of the highly dangerous combination
of a slick floor and liquid, as this will surely cause someone to slip
if stepped on, or an obstacle in a poorly lit area, as someone may not
notice it until it is too late.
It is important to always be mindful of the safety of others and to keep
others out of harm’s way whenever possible; unfortunately, many
do not practice such behavior. If you or a loved one has suffered a fall
injury due to another’s negligence, Van Der Walde & Associates’
San Jose slip-and-fall injury lawyers can aid you in seeking compensation for your losses from those responsible.
For more information, contact us today at (800) 900-0863.