Cpsc Warns Of Carbon Monoxide Dangers This Winter Season

Posted By Caputo & Van Der Walde LLP || 25-Jan-2011

Recently, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) issued a press release urging consumers to be careful this winter in regards to carbon monoxide exposure.

According to the press release, carbon monoxide (CO) is a serious threat during winter months. Any appliances in the home that are fuel-burning, including fireplaces and furnaces, are potential sources of CO. Carbon monoxide is particularly dangerous since it is a colorless and odorless poisonous gas, and often people do not realize they have been exposed to CO until it is too late.

Since 1999, there has been a rising trend in unintentional carbon monoxide fatalities related to consumer products. On average, the CPSC reports that there have been an estimated 184 CO poisoning-related fatalities every year from 2005 to 2007, compared to an average of 122 fatalities every year from 1999 to 2001. The majority of CO-related fatalities have been linked to portable generators and heating systems.

To prevent carbon monoxide poisoning, the CPSC recommends that consumers:

  • Every year, schedule a professional inspection of all fuel-burning home heating systems, including fireplaces, chimneys and their flues and vents, water heaters, furnaces, wood stoves, and boilers.
  • When you are buying a space heater, find out whether the heater is safety-certified. A certified heater will have an identifying safety certification mark, and will have the most current safety features. For example, an unvented gas space heater will turn off if oxygen levels become too low.
  • You should be sure to keep portable gasoline-powered generators as far away from your home as possible, so that deadly CO does not come into your home via windows or vents.
  • You should never run a portable gasoline-powered generator in a space that is enclosed, like a shed, garage, or in your home.
  • You should never use a portable propane space heater in a restricted area or indoors, unless it was specifically designed for indoor use. You should always follow the directions from the manufacturer for proper use.
  • You should never use an electric or gas stove to heat your home, as they were not created for that purpose and poses a serious CO hazard.

Anyone who believes they have been exposed to CO should immediately seek medical attention, and then consult with an experienced Pleasanton carbon monoxide exposure attorney, who can advise them on their legal rights and options. If it is determined a defective product was the cause of you suffering carbon monoxide poisoning or another calamity, the manufacturer could be held liable. Contact the lawyers at Van Der Walde & Associates to learn more. Call (800) 900-0863 today.

Blog Home

We Can Help You Contact Us for a Free Case Review