California’s Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act has made it
mandatory for California homes with a fossil fuel source, attached garage,
or both to have a carbon monoxide (CO) detector installed. The state law
went into effect on July 1 of this year, and now makes it mandatory for
homes across the state to have a working CO detector, according to
CBS Los Angeles.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless gas that only takes
a few minutes of exposure to become deadly to those affected by it. CO
detectors are able to detect and warn of the presence of the gas much
like smoke detectors in homes. Those who fail to install a CO alarm can
be penalized with a $200 fine, and owners of leased or rented homes and
apartments containing multiple families have until January 1 to install
the detectors on their property.
While CO is impossible to sense normally,
carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms usually include nausea, dizziness, and headaches. In order to prevent
carbon monoxide exposure in your home or apartment, follow these tips:
- Have all CO producing appliances and features inspected, such as fireplaces
- Test all detectors monthly, regularly replace batteries, and buy a new
detector after seven years.
- Never use a grill inside or near a window of your home.
- Do not block vents, windows, or an appliance’s exhaust ducts.
- Never leaving your car running in an attached garage.
By following these tips, families can prevent many CO poisoning accidents
year-round, but this cannot always prevent accidents from occurring due
to a defective product or another’s negligence. If you or a loved
one has suffered from such an accident, the
San Jose carbon monoxide poisoning lawyers at Van Der Walde & Associates can help you find the compensation you
need to recover from your injuries. Contact us today for a consultation
on your case at (800) 900-0863.